Feel free to sub in any cupboard leftovers for this riff on Christina Tosi's Compost Cookies – you want a mix of sweet, salt and crunch. Any leftover biscuits will keep in an airtight container for about a week.
1 litre vanilla bean ice-cream, softened
90ml (3 shots) espresso
215g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
pinch of salt
120g butter, chopped, room temperature
115g brown sugar
115g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup pretzels
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup salted potato crisps
1 tbsp ground coffee
½ cup chewy caramels, chopped and placed in the fridge until firm (we used Werther's Original caramels)
pinch of salt flakes
1. Add the vanilla bean ice-cream and espresso to a bowl. Stir until the espresso has fully incorporated into the ice-cream then return to freezer to firm up while you bake the cookies.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. In a bowl whisk together the flour, bicarbonate soda and salt, and set aside.
4. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugars together using electric beaters until pale and creamy (about 2 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
5. Gently add the flour mix and fold in the pretzels, chocolate chips, potato crisps, ground coffee and caramels. The chips and pretzels will break up as you combine the mixture, but don't worry about this.
6. When the dough has come together, break off pieces and form into balls roughly the size of a golf ball. Place the balls at least 10cm apart on the lined tray. Press down gently and sprinkle the top of each cookie with salt flakes.
7. Bake in batches for 8 minutes, then gently press each cookie flat with a spatula. Bake for another 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Remove from the oven, cool on the tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the coffee ice-cream from the freezer a few minutes before you assemble the sandwiches.
9. To serve, top a biscuit with a scoop of the ice-cream then sandwich with another biscuit, pressing down to ensure the ice-cream reaches the edges. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice-cream.