This banana bread recipe is low in added fat and sugar and can be adapted with heaps of add-ins or your favourite ingredients. Fantastic for snack time or the lunch box and perfect for slicing and freezing.
Servings: 12 slices
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour (wholemeal or plain to your liking)*
1 tsp ground cinnamon
20 grams butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg beaten lightly
1/4 cup milk
1 large or 2 smaller bananas
Optional ingredients to add
1-2 tbsp ground flaxseed (linseed)
1/2 cup any of these ... walnuts, sultanas, chopped dates or figs or your favourite ingredient
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
2. Grease a loaf pan and line the base with baking paper.
3. Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Rub in butter.
4. Stir in sugar, egg, milk and banana and any add-ins. Don't over-mix. The batter should be lumpy.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack after five minutes and cool.
6. Cut bread into 12 slices. Serve immediately or freeze for later.
Published with permission from Deb Blakley (dietitian and nutritionist) at Kids Dig Food
* An earlier version of this article incorrectly had 1/4 cup self-raising flour