Rendered duck fat is available at well-stocked butchers and delis, or can be replaced with a combination of butter and olive oil.
1kg dutch cream or kipfler potatoes, peeled
about 50g (4 tbsp) duck fat
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp picked thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Preheat a deep baking tray in the oven.
2. Quarter dutch creams; if using kipflers, leave whole. Place in a saucepan of cold water over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Strain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of duck fat and toss to coat. Add half the flour and toss to coat. Sprinkle remaining flour to evenly coat.
4. Remove hot baking tray from oven and add 2 tablespoons of duck fat. When the fat has melted, add the potatoes, toss to coat, season with plenty of salt and return to oven immediately. Bake for 20 minutes, remove tray from oven and, using a pair of tongs, turn over each potato. They should be starting to develop a golden crust. If the tray seems a bit dry, add the remaining duck fat. Return to oven and cook for another 20 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove tray from oven and sprinkle the potato with thyme. Leave the potatoes to rest in the tray for 5 minutes, moving occasionally to allow them to absorb the aromatics from the herbs. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
This recipe features in our ultimate Christmas feast