The smoky flavour of eggplant roasted on the BBQ grill dominates this dish, which makes an excellent accompaniment to Middle Eastern-style grilled meat. A sprinkle of pomegranate seeds adds that final flavoursome touch.
1 large eggplant, pricked with a fork
2 cloves Australian rose garlic, crushed
200ml natural yoghurt
100ml olive oil
100g roasted almonds, skin on, roughly chopped
½ bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves
salt and pepper
½ pomegranate, deseeded
Tip: Look for fresh Australian-grown rose garlic - the cloves have a pinkish tinge.
1. Place the eggplants on the grill and cook until they have collapsed and are steaming.
2. Place in a bowl and when cool enough peel off and discard the skin.
3. Wrap the flesh in absorbent paper and suspend to drain off any residual liquid.
4. Mix the eggplant with the garlic and half the yoghurt.
5. Add half the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Mix in the roasted almonds, parsley and remaining yoghurt, season to taste with salt and pepper, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds.
This dish goes perfectly with Shane Delia's Seven-spiced barbecued lamb.