A recipe from the Good Food collection.
200 g (6½ oz) natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons finely grated onion
1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
pinch ground cumin
1 large, long eggplant (aubergine)
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons besan flour (chickpea flour)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup (30 g/1 oz) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (55 g/1¾ oz) besan flour, extra
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (60 ml/4 fl oz) cold beer
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2/3 cup (170 ml/5½ fl oz) olive oil, for
1. To make Yoghurt Dip: Beat all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
2. Cut eggplant into 20 slices, each about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick. Sprinkle both sides of each slice with salt. Leave in a colander for about 20 minutes. Rinse the eggplant, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Combine the 2 tablespoons besan flour and pepper on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Dust the eggplant slices lightly in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
4. Sift remaining flours into a medium bowl; make a well in the centre. Add eggs, beer and lemon juice all at once. Beat until all liquid is incorporated and batter is free of lumps.
5. Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan. Using two forks, dip floured eggplant into batter a few pieces at a time; drain off excess. Cook in oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until underside is golden and crisp. Turn fritter over, cook other side. Transfer to a large plate; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter and eggplant. Serve with chilled Yoghurt Dip.