Pot pies are baked in pie dishes with pastry lids sealing in all the goodness. Use left-over roast, poached or steamed chicken, and serve at the table so you can break through the crisp pastry and spoon out the steamy, creamy chicken fricassee inside.
500g cooked chicken meat
3 tbsp butter, plus butter for pie dish
1 tbsp olive oil
3 leeks, trimmed and sliced
300g button mushrooms, trimmed and halved
2 tbsp flour
400ml chicken stock
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Lightly butter a 24cm-diameter deep pie dish. Cut the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a big heavy frypan and cook the leeks and mushrooms, without browning, until soft.
3. To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. When foaming, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon over a low heat for 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly, then the cream, paprika, sea salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Fold in the chicken, leeks, mushrooms and parsley, season well, and pile the mixture into the pie dish.
5. When cool, drape the pastry over the top, allowing for 2cm overhang, pinching it to join where necessary. Stab the top two or three times with a knife, brush with beaten egg, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.