I love salads, especially when they have lots of different textures and flavours. This is one of my go-to dishes, full of healthy, filling grains, raw cauliflower, salted beetroot and smoked yoghurt, which adds an interesting flavour.
100g organic unfumigated lentils
½ small cauliflower
2 medium beetroots
20g flaked salt
20g smoking chips*
50g smoked almonds
40g extra virgin olive oil
20g red-wine vinegar
*Smoking chips are available at hardware and barbecue stores.
1. To cook the grains, place each of them in separate pots filled with two litres of water, bring to the boil, and cook for about 15 minutes until tender but not too soft. Strain well and refrigerate.
2. For the lentils, leave them to soak in cold water for one hour. Place in a jar, cover with cling film and poke holes in the top. Leave them in a warm well-lit place for 36 hours until they sprout. Rinse well, dry and refrigerate.
3. Roughly chop the cauliflower, including the stalk, and pulse it in a food processor until fine and uniform.
4. Peel and grate the beetroots and season with salt. Leave to sit for 30 minutes before squeezing out excess liquid using a colander.
5. To smoke the yoghurt, place some aluminium foil in the bottom of a heavy-based pot. Place the smoking chips on top of the foil. Line a colander (choose a size that sits flush on the pot) with muslin or a clean cloth, and place the yoghurt in the colander. Using a blowtorch, light the smoking chips, place the colander on top of the pot and wrap with cling film. Leave for 15 minutes. Remove the yoghurt and reserve.
6. Crush the smoked almonds and mix with the remaining ingredients, apart from the yoghurt. Top with the smoked yoghurt and serve.