It may sounds a little odd, but fennel goes very well with chocolate. Try this luscious ice-cream with a comforting chocolate winter pudding and you'll be convinced.
180g castor sugar
200g chopped fennel including tops
1 tbsp roasted fennel seeds
60ml liquid glucose
1. In a large bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar.
2. Put the fennel, seeds, milk, cream, glucose and pernod in a saucepan, bring almost to the boil then remove from heat leave to infuse for one hour.
3. Return to the boil, strain into a large jug, then pour and whisk into the yolks.
4. Return the mix to the saucepan and heat gently while stirring until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Strain into a bowl, chill then churn in an ice-cream machine.
Serve with: The Blue Ducks' chocolate and burnt orange bread and butter pudding. It's a delicious flavour combination!