A buttery and moist almond cake which is gluten free. A simple cake made decadent with a white chocolate ganache, ideal for afternoon tea or for a birthday celebration.
200g unsalted butter, softened
220g caster sugar
80g desiccated coconut
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp almond essence
pinch of salt
160g almond meal
White chocolate ganache
200g white chocolate, roughly chopped
½ cup cream
almond flakes, to decorate
1. Preheat oven on CircoTherm to 160C (in a NEFF oven, and also 160C in a regular oven). Place wire rack on shelf position 2. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with a removable base, and line the base with baking paper.
2. Place the butter, sugar, coconut, vanilla, almond essence and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well combined. Fold in the almond meal.
3. Place mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow cake to cool in cake tin.
4. While cake is cooling, make the ganache. Combine chopped chocolate and cream in a heavy saucepan. Gently heat over low heat until chocolate starts to melt. Remove from heat and continue to stir until the remaining chocolate has melted. Transfer ganache to a bowl and refrigerate until ganache thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir ganache well before decorating the cake.
5. Ganache can be poured onto cake while it is a little runny or it can be spread onto the cake with a palette knife when it is thick. Decorate with almond flakes as desired.
Note: This cake will keep well for 3 days in an airtight container. The cake can be made a day in advance and topped with ganache on the day of serving.