Garlic butter and cheese… in a toastie. So wrong, it's right. Here's how to make it.
2 tbsp softened butter
2 tsp finely grated garlic
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
70g vintage cheddar
4 slices of bread
1 tbsp pesto (optional)
1. With a fork, mash the butter with the garlic, parsley and a pinch of sea salt.
2. Coarsely grate the cheddar, and slice the mozzarella.
3. Heat one large, solid frypan (or two smaller ones) over low heat.
4. Spread the four slices of bread with the garlic butter. Place two slices butter-side down in the pan, and cover evenly and generously with grated cheddar, then with sliced mozzarella.
5. Spread the inside of the two remaining slices of bread with pesto and place pesto-side down on top of the sandwiches in the pan, pressing down lightly. Cook for 2 minutes, then check the bottom – it should be toasty and golden, and firm to the touch.
6. Carefully turn each toastie and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the bread is firm and golden and the cheese is oozing out the sides.
7. Transfer to a chopping board, cut in half and serve hot.