Filling a flan case with something delicious is one of the simplest pathways to an impressive dessert. You can use a store-bought case if you like, but really, they're a cinch to make.
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
2 pinches salt
80g unsalted cold butter, chopped
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups milk
2 tbsp leatherwood honey, plus extra for drizzling
2 tbsp caster sugar
3 tsp cornflour
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1. To make the pastry, place 150g of the flour, plus the icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg yolk and 2 tsp water and pulse until the dough starts to come together, adding more water if necessary, 1 tsp at a time.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Pour vanilla extract, milk and honey into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to combine. Turn off the heat.
4. Beat remaining egg yolks and caster sugar until pale and doubled in volume. Whisk in the remaining 50g flour and the cornflour until combined. Whisking constantly, pour in the milk mixture until well combined.
5. Pour into a saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk continuously for 5 minutes, until it reaches a thick custard consistency. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap to prevent a skin forming. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating until needed.
6. Roll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface until ½ cm thick. Line a 20cm x 4cm loosebottom fluted tart tin with the pastry, and trim excess. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using a fork, prick the flan base. Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried pulses. Bake for 15 minutes, until dry, then remove the paper and pastry weights. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, until golden and cooked. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
8. Spoon the honey crème into the pastry shell, then top with the grapes, drizzle with honey and serve.