Special note: Using your fingertips, take the amount of batter you need for one doughnut. Flick your wrist and snap the batter into the palm of your hand and with your arm over the deep fryer - from a height - being careful not to burn yourself, gradually make a fist starting with your index finger and then the rest of your fingers, squeeze the batter out with speed so the doughnut forms its shape upon impact in the hot oil. The snap technique comes with practice.
160g plain flour
pinch each of salt and sugar
9g fresh yeast
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1 x 250g punnet fresh strawberries
100g icing sugar
175ml pink sparkling wine
· Place flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
· In a medium bowl dissolve the yeast with the lukewarm water then pour on to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to prove (rise).
· Preheat deep fryer to 180C.
· Once the dough has doubled in size, using your hands, squeeze golf-ball size doughnuts straight into the deep fryer (see note). Cook evenly, stirring continuously, until golden brown.
· Serve and eat immediately with macerate strawberries (see recipe right). Don't let them go soggy.
· Place all ingredients in a 2 litre stainless steel bowl, seal tightly with cling wrap.
· Place bowl over a large pot of simmering water for approximately one hour until strawberries are soft. Allow to cool before serving.
Makes 4 portions