Echoing the colours of the Indian flag, boiled eggs are coated in a rich masala and served with buttered naan.
2 brown onions, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch coriander
2 large green chillies
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp garam masala
7g (1 packet) dried yeast
2½ cups plain flour
¼ cup yoghurt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
melted butter, for brushing
1. For the naan, bloom the yeast in 1 cup of warm water for 10 minutes, then combine with all the remaining ingredients except the butter and knead to a smooth dough. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Proof in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Divide into 6 equal portions.
2. Place the onion, garlic and ginger in a blender and blend to a purée, adding a little water if needed. Set aside.
3. Wash the spinach well, discard the root portion and place leaves and stems in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water on top and leave for 1 minute. Drain, then purée in a blender with the coriander (roots and all) and chillies.
4. Bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer and add the eggs. Boil for 9 minutes, then remove from the pan and shock in iced water for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs and set aside.
5. Heat a deep frying pan over medium heat and add the oil. Fry the onion purée for about 3 minutes, until it starts to brown, then add coriander, cumin and turmeric and stir well. Add the spinach purée and about half a cup of water and bring to a simmer, then add salt, sugar and garam masala. Stir through the boiled eggs and yoghurt and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
6. To cook the naan, heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Roll each piece of dough into a thin circle, then stretch one side to a point and place on the hot pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until puffed and brown in spots, remove from the pan and brush with melted butter. Serve with the curry.
Find more of Adam Liaw's recipes in the Good Food New Classics cookbook.