The Africola chef's hearty soup comes in at $2.30 a serve.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 small dried red chilli, finely chopped
2 red capsicums, deseeded and diced
150g cooked leg ham
1 litre chicken stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
250ml tomato juice
410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
150g cavolo nero
2 tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, chilli and capsicum and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
2. Add the ham to the pan and fry for about one minute to coat in the oil. Then add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until reduced by about a quarter.
3. Using a ladle, place about a third of the soup in a food processor. Blitz to make a thick puree. Return this to the pan and stir to combine.
4. Return the pan to a high heat and add tomato juice and the borlotti beans. Bring to the boil then add the cavolo nero. Stir in and leave to simmer for three minutes or until the cabbage is just tender.
5. Ladle into warmed bowls, top with parsley and serve with some warm, crusty bread.