As someone averse to pineapple on pizza, it's surprising just how good and necessary and uplifting in all senses it is in this easy midweek number. You could substitute with tinned pineapple, but there is something about fresh pineapple that really lifts this.
½ tbsp grapeseed oil or other flavourless oil
500g chicken thighs (about 4 large)
2-3 fresh jalapeno chillies, halved
2 large corn cobs cut into thirds
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200ml pineapple juice
¼ cup spicy barbecue sauce
1 tsp gochujang paste
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple (about 6-8 slices)
1 cup natural yoghurt
1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
juice and zest of 2 limes
½ cup finely chopped pineapple
½ fresh jalapeno chilli, chopped
¼ cup chopped pickled cucumbers
1 tsp dried oregano
1-2 slices of pineapple, chopped into bite-sized pieces
coriander leaves to scatter
1. Preheat oven to 170C fan-forced (190C conventional) and line a high-sided baking dish with baking paper.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced, the consistency has thickened slightly, and the pineapple pieces have softened and broken down a little. Allow to cool before adding half of the marinade to a bowl with the chicken, turning the chicken to coat, and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Add the remaining marinade, corn and jalapenos to a baking dish and toss to coat.
4. Place a frypan over medium heat. Add the oil and once hot, strain chicken from marinade, reserving the marinade, and cook the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side. Cook in batches to prevent overcrowding – you want both sides to look lightly caramelised and charred.
5. Add the chicken and any reserved marinade to the baking dish with the corn and jalapenos and bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, add the dressing ingredients to a blender and blitz to combine. Set aside until serving.
7. You can serve this straight from the baking dish, scattered with the coriander and fresh pineapple, or add to a large serving bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately.