As with all carrot cakes, a swirl of lemon-flavoured cream cheese frosting on top goes perfectly with the honey and ginger. Do add 150 grams of chopped walnuts or pecans if you like a nutty carrot cake.
125ml almond oil
175g honey, a dark one such as ironbark or red gum
50g tahini, stirred before measuring
2 eggs, 60g each
½ tsp ground clove
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cocoa
200g grated carrot
1 small apple, grated with peel, stalk discarded
50g naked (uncrystallised) ginger, very finely chopped
150g raisins or chopped dried apricots
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
extra honey to finish
butter for the tins
1. Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced.
2. Put the oil, honey and tahini in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Next beat in the eggs, spices and cocoa.
3. Stir in the carrot, apple, ginger and raisins then mix in the flour and baking powder until evenly combined.
4. Butter a 10-cup capacity loaf tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about one hour and 15 minutes until the cake is risen and firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes before releasing gently from the tin.
5. Boil about 50 grams of honey for a few minutes to thicken slightly then brush it over the loaf while it's still hot. Serve with a lemon-flavoured cream cheese.