Begin your 'traditional-with-a-twist' Christmas feast with this make-ahead smoked salmon mousse brought bang up-to-date with a tangy herb jelly. Make the day before you plan to serve it.
200g smoked salmon, roughly chopped
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
250ml whipping (thickened) cream, chilled
extra dill and salmon caviar to serve
Green herb jelly
1 tsp powdered gelatine
1 cup dill fronds, loosely packed
1 tbsp parsley leaves
1 tbsp sugar
sea salt to taste
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Roughly chop the salmon and place in a food processor with the mayonnaise, mustard, tomato sauce, lemon juice, paprika, sea salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of the cream. Whiz until very smooth, about one minute.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the remaining cream until firm and gently fold in the salmon mixture until smooth and pale. Spoon or pipe into six 150ml glass jars, leaving a little space for jelly, smooth the tops, clean the rims and refrigerate. Top with the jelly (see recipe below) and leave to set.
4. To make the herb jelly, scatter the gelatine over three tablespoons of cold water and leave for five minutes.
5. Whiz the herbs in a food processor, then add 100ml boiling water, sugar, sea salt and vinegar and whiz until smooth. Strain through a fine strainer, discarding the herbs, and skim off any froth.
6. Whisk the gelatine, add to the herb mixture and whisk until smooth. Gently pour the jelly mixture on top of each mousse, and refrigerate overnight.
To serve: scatter with extra dill fronds and salmon caviar, and serve with crisp toasts or seeded crackers.