Though delicious straight out of the oven, these taste surprisingly great cold, so make for lunch box staples – especially when teamed with a couple of cherry tomatoes and various other vegie sticks. It's always best to start this recipe the night before, so that the quinoa has enough time to sprout. This means a better texture and a more nutritious end result. If you're low on time, rinse the seeds well in cold water before following the instructions on the packet.
200g grated mozzarella
50g semi-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
½ cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
2 good pinches of salt flakes
100g gluten-free flour (you can also use spelt flour if you'd prefer)
softened butter/cooking spray (for greasing the muffin tin)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved for garnish
1. Soak quinoa for at least an hour (preferably overnight).
2. Drain quinoa, rinse and cook according to instructions on the packet.
3. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease mini muffin tin with butter/cooking spray and set aside.
4. Stir together all of the ingredients until well combined.
5. Scoop a heaped tablespoon of mixture into each cup of your mini muffin tin, topping each with a cherry tomato half.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container in the fridge (these can also be batch-baked and frozen).