A recipe from the Good Food collection.
125 g (4 1/2 oz) macaroni
2-3 eggplants (aubergine) roughly grated, sliced thinly lengthways
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) minced (ground) pork, beef or chicken
425 g (15 oz) tinned chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
155 g (5 1/2 oz/1 cup) frozen peas
150 g (5 1/2 oz/1 cup) grated mozzarella cheese
60 g (2 1/4 oz/ 1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
60 g (2 1/4 oz) grated parmesan cheese
1. Grease and line a deep 23 cm (9 inch) round spring-form cake tin. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well and return to the pan to keep warm. Arrange the eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle generously with salt. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse well. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant in batches in a single layer until golden on each side. Add more oil as required. Drain on paper towels.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and stir over low heat until tender. Add the meat and cook until browned. Add the tomato, tomato paste, season and stir well. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, then set aside.
3. Mix together the peas, macaroni, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, egg and half the parmesan.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas 4). Place a slice of eggplant in the centre of the tin. Arrange three-quarters of the remaining eggplant in an overlapping pattern to completely cover the base and side of the tin. Sprinkle with half the remaining parmesan.
5. Combine the meat with the macaroni mixture. Spoon the filling into the eggplant shell, packing down well. Arrange the remaining eggplant slices, overlapping, over the filling. Sprinkle with the parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Leave for 5 minutes, then out onto a serving plate.