Let dinner roll in on a Mexican wave with these crispy, pan-fried tortilla rolls. Delicioso!
500g cooked chicken, shredded
2 vine-ripened tomatoes
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chipotle chilli powder
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 small tortillas, warmed (use corn tortillas for gluten-free)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
olive oil, for shallow-frying
1 fresh ear of sweetcorn
2 ripe avocados, diced
1½ tbsp lime juice
mixed salad leaves, to serve
lime wedges and sour cream, to serve
1. Deseed and dice tomatoes.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for five minutes, until soft, then add spices and fry until fragrant.
3. Add diced tomatoes and cook for a further few minutes, until softened. Fold through cooked chicken and transfer mixture to a bowl. Stir through 1 tbsp coriander and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place about 50g of the chicken mixture along the centre of a warmed tortilla. Sprinkle 1 tbsp cheese in the centre (not too close to the ends or it will ooze out when frying). Roll up tightly to enclose, leaving seam-side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
5. Fill a frying pan 1½-2cm deep with oil and warm over a medium-high heat. Cook tortillas in batches, seam side down first, for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden and crisp. Don't overcrowd the pan and watch to ensure they don't unravel. Drain on paper towels, then continue to cook in batches.
6. For the salsa, cut the corn kernels off the cob and place in a small bowl with the avocado and remaining coriander. Stir in lime juice, remaining oil and season.
7. Serve the flautas with salad leaves, sweetcorn and avocado salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.
Tip: you can use either corn (gluten-free) or flour tortillas in this recipe.