Nachos meets schnitzel in this spice-laden midweek dinner.
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1cm-thick
4 chicken thighs (about 150g each)
230g packet of plain tortilla chips, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp each ground coriander
3 eggs, lightly beaten
vegetable oil, to shallow fry
2 medium avocados, smashed
¼ cup pickled jalapenos, chopped, plus extra to serve
coriander leaves, to serve
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the papika, vinegar and honey, then season. Add the tomatoes and gently toss to combine. Set aside to pickle for 10 minutes.
2. Place the chicken between two sheets of baking paper and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound until about 1cm thick.
3. Mix the tortilla chips and remaining spices in a shallow bowl and season.
4. Dip the chicken into the beaten egg, then press well into the chip mixture to coat.
5. Heat 2cm of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, cook the schnitzels for 4 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
6. Mix the avocado and jalapenos together and season. Serve schnitzels with tomatoes, avocado, coriander and extra jalapenos.