A recipe from the Good Food collection.
3 egg whites
125g (1 cup) icing sugar
150g dark chocolate, melted
250ml (1 cup) thick cream
1 tbsp icing sugar, extra, sifted
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
assorted fresh fruit (such as strawberries, papaya and kiwi fruit), sliced, to serve
passionfruit pulp, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 150C. Line two baking trays with baking paper and use a 4cm cutter as a guide to draw 20 circles on each sheet of paper. Invert the paper on the trays (so the pencil won't come off on the pavlovas).
2. Place the egg whites in a large heatproof bowl and beat with electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, carefully add the sugar and beat until the mixture is thick and glossy.
3. Spread a little of the meringue mixture, following the marked rounds as a guide, over each sheet of baking paper–these will be the bases of the pavlovas. Spoon the remaining meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm plain piping (icing) nozzle. Pipe three small circles one on top of the other around the outer edge of each base to form a border. Bake for 30 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar.
4. When completely cool, dip the base of each pavlova in the melted chocolate to come about 2mm up the side, then transfer to trays lined with baking paper and leave to set.
5. Place the cream, extra icing sugar and orange zest in a bowl and stir to combine. If necessary, lightly beat until just thick. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle and pipe onto the pavlovas. Top with the fruit and serve with the passionfruit pulp.