From this point on, I won't make caramel any other way.
Miso caramel sauce
¾ cup castor sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup milk
50g white chocolate
2 tbsp white miso
1½-2 cups popcorn
3-4 tbsp miso caramel
150g couverture milk chocolate
1-2 tbsp lightly roasted and salted macadamias
1-2 tbsp miso caramel popcorn (see recipe)
2-3 scoops vanilla bean ice-cream per serve
extra macadamias and miso caramel popcorn
1. To make the caramel, add the castor sugar and water to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly to prevent catching, until the mixture turns a golden caramel colour. Remove from the heat and add the milk and butter, stirring constantly – be careful as the mixture will bubble and spit. Add the white chocolate and miso and whisk constantly. Return to a low heat and continue to whisk until fully incorporated. Some miso pastes aren't as smooth as others so if you feel your caramel has a grainy/chunky appearance, strain over a bowl to catch any lumps.
2. Set aside until ready for use (caramel will keep covered in the fridge for two weeks).
3. Preheat the oven to 170C.
4. To make the caramel popcorn add the popcorn to a bowl. Pour over three to four tablespoons of the miso caramel, or enough to just coat the popcorn. Spread a single layer onto a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for five to 10 minutes, or until the caramel and popcorn become crisp, tossing two to three times. Remove and allow to cool completely.
5. To make the chocolate bark melt the chocolate and spread in a thin, even layer on a sheet of baking paper. Sprinkle over one to two tablespoons of macadamias and two tablespoons of the miso caramelised popcorn. Place in the fridge for about 20 minutes to harden, then break into shards.
6. To serve, place one to two tablespoons chopped macadamias and caramel popcorn into serving glasses. Add one to three scoops of vanilla ice-cream per glass and liberally pour over the miso caramel. Top with more popcorn and macadamias before garnishing with one to two broken shards of chocolate bark and a final drizzle of miso caramel. Serve immediately.