A recipe from the Good Food collection.
185 g (6½ oz/1 cup) instant couscous
200 ml (7 fl oz) olive oil
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 eggplant (aubergine)
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1½ teaspoons garlic salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon sea salt
50 g (1¾ oz) unsalted butter
a handful of roughly chopped parsley
1. Put the couscous in a large bowl and add 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cups) boiling water. Cover and leave for 10 minutes, then fluff up the grains with a fork.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 8–10 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan, reserving the pan.
3. Cut the eggplant into 1 cm (½ inch) slices, then cut the slices into quarters. Place in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together the cumin, garlic salt, cinnamon, paprika, cloves and sea salt, then sprinkle over the eggplant, tossing to coat well.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan and reheat the pan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook, turning once, for 20 minutes, or until soft and browned. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
5. Melt the butter in the same frying pan. Add the couscous and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, then stir in the onion, eggplant and parsley. Serve at room temperature.