This simple braise is delicious served with rice and steamed Chinese broccoli. Alternatively, for an awesome weekend lunch, divide 400 grams of blanched fresh ramen noodles among four bowls and spoon the braise over the top. To spice up Meatless Monday, replace the chicken with eggplant. Dice a large eggplant and fry until golden brown.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 skinless chicken thighs, diced into 1cm cubes
½ small Spanish onion, sliced
2 large spring onions, sliced on an angle into 2cm lengths
1 cup sake
¼ Chinese cabbage, sliced
200g oyster mushrooms, trimmed and cut in half
1 packet silken tofu
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
togarashi (Japanese spice blend)
For the miso mixture
½ cup red miso
3 tbsp sugar
⅓ cup light Japanese soy sauce
½ cup mirin
1 cup sake
1. For the miso mixture, whisk the miso in a bowl with the sugar, soy and mirin, then slowly whisk in 1 cup of sake until well combined.
2. In a sauté pan large enough to hold all the ingredients, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chicken and brown for about 3 minutes. Add the onion and spring onion and cook for a further minute. Add the other cup of sake, bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute, then add the miso mixture and bring back to the boil.
3. Add the cabbage and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, then add the mushroom and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Drain the tofu, cut the block in thirds down the length and across into quarters. Carefully fold the tofu through the chicken mixture and remove pan from the heat, leaving to rest for 2 minutes to heat the tofu through.
5. Spoon the chicken and tofu into a serving dish, and sprinkle with coriander and togarashi to taste. Serve immediately.