If you need to whip up something quick, these oat, seed and date bars will do the trick.
125 grams butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar (love the caramel flavour it imparts and goes really well with the dates)
1/2 cup Medjool dates, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Grease and line a 9 x 22cm loaf tin with parchment paper.
3. Melt butter in small saucepan, once melted keep on very low heat and whisk in the sugar until smooth.
4. Turn heat off, add dates and stir through. I highly recommend dipping a finger into the mixture to make sure it tastes ok.
5. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the egg and vanilla.
6. Add flour, oats, chia and sunflower seeds and stir until combined.
7. Pour into loaf tin and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack.
9. Once cool, slice into bars and pop into lunchboxes.
NB: If texture is an issue you can grind up the sunflower and chia seeds before adding to the mixture.
This recipe is by certified health coach and wellness blogger, Brenda Janschek.