Here's a beautiful, summer salad that combines flavour and crunch from chef Pete Evans. Use it as part of a Christmas lunch spread to offset all those heavier, meaty dishes.
5 Lebanese cucumbers
seeds of half a pomegranate
1 handful mint leaves, coarsely shredded
2 tbsp chopped chives
1 small handful chervil sprigs
100g walnuts (activated if possible), toasted and chopped
For lemon dressing
juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cucumbers lengthways into long strips, trying not to include any seeds. Discard the seeds.
2. Place the cucumber strips in a large bowl, then add the pomegranate seeds, mint, chives, chervil and walnuts. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
3. To make the lemon dressing, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil together in a small bowl and season to taste with salt.
4. Pour half the lemon dressing over the salad, then gently toss the salad ingredients to combine. Season with a little extra sea salt if needed.
5. Arrange the salad on a large serving platter, then drizzle with the remaining dressing if desired.