With eggs, milk and cheese in the fridge, there is always something for dinner. Here's a glorious oven-baked mac 'n' cheese that's half-quiche, and half-frittata. Bake a few thickly sliced tomatoes at the same time to serve alongside and you won't even need a sauce.
300g any short pasta (I use casareccia)
3 rashers bacon, cut into lardons
400g spinach, cooked, squeezed dry and chopped
1 tsp butter for pie dish
6 x 55g eggs
1 tbsp plain flour, sifted
150g grated parmesan, gruyere or cheddar
1 tsp mustard powder
½half tsp paprika
sea salt and pepper
1. Cook the pasta in plenty of simmering, salted water until tender. Drain well.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp. Toss with the pasta and chopped spinach and pile into a buttered 23cm wide quiche tin or pie dish.
3. Heat the oven to 200C. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, flour, cheese, mustard powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta, jiggling the dish to help it settle.
5. Bake for aboutaround 40 minutes or until browned on top and set in the middle.