A lighter, faster and greener pea soup than the traditional one using dried split peas. A smoked, gypsy-style ham gives it a lovely flavour.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
500g frozen peas
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock, hot
100g thick slice of ham, shredded
1. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the leeks until soft, about 10 minutes, without browning.
2. Add the peas and toss until well coated with oil. Add the hot stock and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes then puree the soup in batches in a blender or with a stick blender.
4. Return to the pan, add most of the shredded ham, season well and simmer for five minutes.
5. Serve hot with the remaining ham and a grind of black pepper.