I recently went vegetarian for a month. The most delicious dish I ate in that time was this recipe. Since I'm eating meat again, I have added pancetta for its depth of flavour, but if you want to keep this vegetarian, then it's delicious without it. Use the beans as a side dish for any grilled or roasted food as well. Another option is to shave some cabbage, dice an onion and roll everything up in tortillas or lettuce leaves.
4 tbsp sour cream
juice of ½ lemon
30ml olive oil
4 free-range eggs
soft tortillas, to serve
1 lemon, quartered, to serve
handful coriander, to serve
For the black beans
2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
150g speck or pancetta, finely chopped (optional)
4 chipotle chillies in adobo, chopped (available from delis)
1 tsp sweet paprika
400g tinned, chopped tomatoes
2 tsp brown sugar
3 coriander roots, finely chopped
500g tinned black beans, rinsed and drained
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. In a bowl, mix the sour cream with the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. For the black beans, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic and speck or pancetta and cook for five minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the chillies and paprika and cook for a further two minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, coriander root, black beans, salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Cut avocados in half lengthwise, remove skin and stone and slice into about eight slices.
4. Place a large non-stick pan over a medium to high heat, pour in olive oil, heat then crack the eggs in one by one and fry until the whites are set (or flip them over if you wish).
5. Place a soft tortilla on each of four plates, spoon over black bean mixture and top each with an egg and a dollop of the sour cream mixture. Garnish with coriander and avocado slices and serve with lemon quarters.
Find more of Neil Perry's recipes in the Good Food Favourite Recipes cookbook.