Wellness devotees are seeking out treats that are raw, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free and usually organic. Raw desserts use ingredients that have not been heated above 42C, so the food retains all its enzymes, providing health benefits. Feeling the raw love? These pistachio love tarts will have you falling for raw, and are perfect for impressing that gluten-free buddy or beau. It's best to soak the cashews overnight and you'll need to take into account freezing time.
½ cup pistachios
½ cup almond meal (or ground activated almonds)
¼ cup shredded coconut
½ tsp vanilla powder
1½ tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut nectar
½ cup cashews
1½ tbsp rose water
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp coconut nectar
¼ cup coconut yoghurt
pinch of saffron
1. For the base, add half the pistachios (a quarter of a cup) to the blender and process until you have a fine powder, then add the rest of the base ingredients and process until it all comes together. The mixture should stick when pressed with the fingers. If it is too dry, you can add a little extra coconut nectar or coconut oil, depending on taste.
2. Divide the mixture in half and press firmly and evenly into two mini tart tins. Freeze for 30 minutes or until quite firm.
3. For the filling, soak the cashews overnight, then rinse well before using.
4. Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until silky smooth.
5. Remove the bases from the freezer and divide the mixture into each and place back in the freezer for one hour.
6. In a mortar and pestle, crush one tablespoon of pistachios and sprinkle over the tarts to decorate. You can store these in the freezer. Just remove 20 minutes before serving.