Why opt for a traditional cheesecake when you can make the MasterChef pastry master's citrus and blackberry spectacular?
Citrus cheesecake mousse
1.5 gelatine titanium sheets
225g cream cheese
75g icing sugar
150g crème fraiche
75g sour cream
Juice and zest of half a lime
45g icing sugar
Zest of one lemon
Pinch of salt
75g unsalted cold butter
1 egg yolk
300g frozen blackberries
20 ml lemon juice
2 strips of lemon peel
1g pectin (optional)
For citrus cheesecake mousse
1. Soak gelatine in cold water until softened.
2. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, place cream cheese and icing sugar. Paddle until cream cheese is well combined and fluffy. Meanwhile, gently heat milk in a saucepan and take off heat just before it starts simmering. Stir in gelatine until it dissolves, then pour this mixture slowly into the cream cheese mixture, mixing until smooth.
3. Once cream cheese is whipped, add in the creme fraiche, sour cream and lime juice with zest. Incorporate until the mixture is shiny.
4. Place the mixture in a container and leave in the fridge to set. Once set, transfer to a piping bag.
For lemon pastry
5. Place dry ingredients together in a food processor. Then, while on low speed, add in butter to the mixture until it resembles a sand-like texture.
6. Add in egg yolk until combined, then slowly add water until a dough is formed.
7. Preheat oven to 160°C.
8. Roll the dough out until it is very thin (aim for a 1mm thickness) and bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden. Break into large pieces and set aside.
For blackberry compote
9. Place blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, peel and water in a pot and cook over low heat. Continue to cook for 30-45 minutes, ensuring there is enough water so the mixture doesn't burn.
10. Remove the peel and whisk in pectin. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens to a jam-like texture. Then set aside to cool down.
Pipe three dollops of cheesecake mousse on the centre of the plate next to each other, almost in a straight line. Then spoon dollops of blackberry compote on top of the mousse. Place shards of lemon pastry on top of the mousse and garnish with mint leaves, freeze-dried blackberry and fresh orange segments.