'Tis the season for earthy rustic meals to fill you with inner warmth. Tangy rhubarb and golden pastry is a heavenly match, but it gets even better when the tangy juices mingle with the sugar and self-caramelise the tart.
800g rhubarb stalks
2 sheets ready-made puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp castor sugar
icing sugar for dusting
1 pomegranate, seeded
1. Heat the oven to 220C. Wash the rhubarb and trim the stalks, discarding leaves.
2. Cut one pastry sheet in half to form the two tart bases, and brush edges with beaten egg. Cut strips from the remaining sheet of pastry and form a raised border on the two tart bases. Brush the raised borders with beaten egg.
3. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, as the juices will run and burn. Trim the rhubarb into lengths that will fit neatly across each tart, and arrange on top. Scatter with sugar, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is golden and the rhubarb is soft.
4. Scatter with pomegranate seeds (and juices) and serve with thick cream or ice-cream.
- See how to deseed a pomegranate here.