The classic British comfort dish has an indulgent vegetarian twist.
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1⅓ cups milk
1 tsp salt flakes
6 large field mushrooms
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
50g unsalted butter
6 small rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
100g gorgonzola, crumbled, to serve
1 tsp cracked black pepper, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C fan-forced (220C conventional). To make the batter, place the flour, egg, milk and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the mushrooms in a large 35cm x 25cm high-sided roasting pan and drizzle with half the oil. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden.
3. Working quickly, remove the mushrooms, pour the batter into the tray and place mushrooms on top. Return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Add the rosemary and cook for 30 seconds, or until crisp.
5. Serve immediately topped with cheese, rosemary and pepper.