You can cheat and buy XO if you wish, but I promise if you make it, you will be addicted.
2 tbsp peanut oil
120g green prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left on
100g garlic stems, cut into 4cm lengths
2 spring onions, cut into 4cm lengths
100g snow peas
1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
¼ cup chicken stock
1 tbsp light soy sauce, approx.
steamed rice, to serve
DIY XO sauce (makes 200ml)
2 tsp dried scallops (conpoy)
1 tbsp dried shrimps
100g fresh long red chillies, deseeded and chopped
2 tbsp ginger, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
²/³ cup vegetable oil
3 tsp sea salt
3 tsp castor sugar
* Check bottled ingredients and stock are gluten-free if required
1. For the XO, soak scallops and shrimps in warm water for 2 hours, until softened. Drain, place in a food processor with remaining ingredients and blend. Place mixture in a saucepan over very low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the raw garlic flavour is gone and the sauce turns a deep red colour (about 45-60 minutes).
2. For stir-fry, Place a wok over high heat. When it is smoking hot, drizzle in half of the peanut oil and quickly stir-fry the prawns until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.Repeat with the scallops.
3. Add the remaining peanut oil to the wok and stir-fry the garlic stems, spring onions and snow peas for about a minute.
4. Add Shaoxing, then 3 tbsp of XO. Stir through and add chicken stock to create a sauce.
5. Return seafood to the sauce, add soy sauce and stir through. Remove from heat and check seasoning.
6. Serve immediately with steamed rice.