Bacon, doused in maple syrup and baked in the oven until crisp... You wouldn't think it would be so remarkable, but the combination of treacly sweetness and salty savouriness is alarmingly good. It has even been referred to as ''man candy''. It's easy to make at home and is delicious served with hotcakes, poached eggs, French toast or - as here - with crushed avocado on toast. Alternatively, crumble maple bacon over salads and macaroni and cheese.
8 rashers bacon, rindless (thin bacon will crisp better than thick)
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp Sriracha or hot chilli sauce
1 tsp cracked black pepper
4 thick slices sourdough bread
1 avocado, halved, stone removed
1 tbsp lemon juice
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Place the bacon on a baking tray lined with baking paper, in a single layer.
2. Whisk the maple syrup and chilli sauce, and brush each rasher with the mixture.
3. Scatter with cracked black pepper and bake for 10 minutes or until done to your liking (keep an eye on it, as thin bacon could burn). It will crisp further as it cools.
4. Roughly mash the avocado with lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. Grill or toast the bread on both sides.
5. To serve, thickly spread the toasted or grilled bread with avocado, top with bacon and serve.