This healthy, tasty, gluten-free dinner is so easy in the Thermomix, using the steamer basket and Varoma steaming compartment to create a layered complete meal. Iridescent basil oil, gently warmed in the Thermomix, lifts this dish with colour and flavour. I've used dory fillet, but you can also use a small whole fish or other preferred fillets such as salmon or flathead.
For basil oil
2 bunches basil (about 200 grams)
200 grams rice bran oil
For the fish, quinoa and spinach
300g baby spinach
400-800g fish fillets (200 grams per person)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 preserved lemon, flesh removed and skin finely diced
salt and pepper, to taste
For basil oil
1. Place basil, including stems, with and oil in Thermomix bowl and blend for 30 seconds/speed 9. Scrape down sides of Thermomix bowl with spatula. Heat for 8 minutes/60 degrees/speed 1.
2. Line the Thermomix steamer basket with two layers of kitchen paper. Suspend basket over a larger bowl or jug. Pour basil oil onto kitchen paper and allow it to strain through for at least 1 one hour. Place into a jar and store in the refrigerator. Basil pulp can be used in pesto.
For the fish and quinoa
1. Soak quinoa for 10 minutes in cold water, then drain, rinse and drain again. Place in Thermomix steamer basket.
2. Weigh 600 grams of water into Thermomix bowl. Set steamer basket with quinoa into the Thermomix bowl.
3. Place spinach in Varoma and fish on Varoma tray. Season fish with salt and pepper. Steam for 12 minutes/Varoma/speed 2.
4. Remove spinach into a colander and set aside to drain, squeezing excess water.
5. Steam fish and quinoa for a further six minutes/Varoma/speed 2. Check if fish is cooked and set aside to rest. (If not cooked, cook for a further two minutes/Varoma/speed 2.)
6. Remove quinoa. Turn into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, toss with chilli flakes, tomatoes and preserved lemon. Season to taste.
7. Tip water from mixing bowl and add spinach. Blitz for five seconds/speed 8, then scrape down and repeat until spinach is smooth.
8. Arrange fish, quinoa and spinach on a platter and drizzle with basil oil.
To serve: This dish can be served platter-style for sharing, or plated individually.
Tip: Remaining basil oil can be used in salad dressing, mayonnaise and drizzled over soup and risotto.