This is a light and breezy noodle dish that is well suited to the warmer weather. The ingredients list may look long, but it’s super quick to pull together. The key is to have everything prepped and ready to go, so you can cook the dish as quickly as possible. It can be easily taken in a vegetarian direction by swapping in firm tofu for the prawns.
350g instant ramen-style noodles, cooked and drained
80ml light soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine
2 tsp castor sugar
1 tbsp curry powder (I use a Malaysian one)
1 brown onion, finely sliced
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
5cm piece of ginger, diced
1 long green chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp salt flakes
120g bean sprouts
2 handfuls of frozen peas
6 shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
4 spring onions, finely sliced
¼ bunch of garlic chives, cut into 3cm batons (optional)
6 green prawns, peeled, deveined and cut into 1cm pieces
2 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
3 tbsp neutral oil
1 handful of coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
1. Dry the cooked noodles well in a sieve for about 10 minutes, tossing a few times to ensure they don't clump together.
2. Combine the soy, rice wine, sugar and half the curry powder in a large bowl. Add the noodles and toss gently until well coated.
3. Have all the ingredients ready nearby, so that you can add them to the hot wok quickly. Put the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in one bowl, and the remaining curry powder, the mustard seeds and salt in another. Put the bean sprouts, peas, mushrooms, spring onions and garlic chives (if using) in a third bowl, and have the prawns and beaten egg close by.
4. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the onion mix and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the curry and mustard seed mix and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the vegetables and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Tip out of the wok into a bowl and set aside.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the wok and add the prawns. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, then push to the side of the wok. Add the egg and cook until it starts to stick. Add the prawns back and scramble through the egg. Add the noodles and follow with the vegetables. Toss together, then add the coriander. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until combined and hot. Tip onto a platter and garnish with extra coriander. Serve immediately.
If you like this recipe try my Singapore noodles.