Australians are obsessed with the Keto diet, are finding comfort in retro classics, and are resisting the sweet stuff, if the most Googled recipes of 2018 are anything to go by.
We can't decide if we love or loathe carbs. While the carb-despising Keto diet has us doubling down on meat and cheese and butter on everything, the rest of us are googling gnocchi or risotto and other stodgy, slightly dodgy dishes that challenge neither tastebuds or jaw - stroganoff anyone? (Although our versions, below, are obviously brilliant!)
Notably absent from the top ten list are desserts. What's happened to the joy of baking? Will we re-discover it again next year or will savoury again sweep the list? A bit of both would be nice.
What are we most curious to learn how to cook? Corn beef comes out tops, followed by eggplant, tofu, beetroot, rice in the microwave, corn and couscous. Quite the smorgasbord. But not one I'd particularly like to be invited to.
So here they are, the top ten most searched for recipes in Australia for 2018, with our very own versions to save you from having to Google them (again?) for yourself.
1. Keto recipes like this Steak with 'home sauce'
Steak with "home sauce". Photo: William Meppem
2. Beef stroganoff like this Beef short rib stroganoff
Beef short rib stroganoff. Photo: Katrina Meynink
3. Chicken curry recipes, like this Coconut and coriander chicken curry
Adam Liaw's coconut and coriander chicken curry. Photo: William Meppem
4. Frittata recipes, like this Potato, pea and bacon frittata
Jill Dupleix's potato, pea and bacon frittata. Photo: Marina Oliphant
5. Gnocchi recipes like this Potato gnocchi with pesto cream
Gnocchi with pesto cream. Photo: Marina Oliphant
6. Risotto recipes, like this Mushroom and pea risotto
Mushroom and pea risotto. Photo: William Meppem
7. Chicken soup recipes, like this Cold-busting chicken soup
Arabella Forge's cold-busting chicken soup. Photo: Eddie Jim
8. Fried rice recipes, like Kylie Kwong's Everyday fried rice
Kylie Kwong's everyday fried rice. Photo: William Meppem
9. Omelette recipes, like Neil Perry's ham omelette
Neil Perry's ham omelette. Photo: William Meppem
10. Beef stew recipes, like this Brown butter beef stew
Brown butter beef stew. Photo: Adam Liaw