An easy way to spice up a midweek dinner or snack, with a genius version of refried beans that uses no oils or fats.
2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 tsp chipotle in adobo, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
sea salt and pepper
4 soft flour or corn tortillas (use corn for gluten-free)
80g cheddar or tasty cheese, grated
2 cups baby cos or iceberg, finely shredded
cut lime for serving
1 tomato, finely diced
1 avocado, finely diced
1 tsp pickled jalapenos, finely diced
1 tbsp lime juice
½ red onion, finely sliced
1 cup coriander sprigs
1. In a frypan, combine all but 100g of beans with vegetable stock or water, and bring to the boil. Add the chipotle in adobo, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, sea salt and pepper and simmer for five minutes, stirring.
2. While still soupy, mash the beans in the pan using a potato masher until you have a creamy, spreadable mixture that has absorbed all the liquid. Keep warm.
3. Make the salsa salad: lightly toss the tomato, avocado, jalapenos, red onion and coriander with reserved red kidney beans, one tablespoon lime juice, sea salt and pepper.
4. Spread one tortilla with refried beans and scatter with grated cheese. Fry in a hot, dry frypan for two minutes or until lightly browned underneath. Slide onto a warm plate and repeat with remaining tortillas.
5. Top with shredded lettuce and salsa salad, and serve with lime wedges.
Find more of Jill Dupleix's recipes in the Good Food Favourite Recipes cookbook.