A recipe from the Good Food collection.
400 g (14 oz/2 cups) dried cannellini beans
60 ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) white wine
500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) fish stock
480 g (1 lb 1 oz) tin tuna in brine, drained
1 bunch basil, leaves only
4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) slices
40 g (1½ oz/½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
1 garlic clove, crushed
30 g (1 oz/¾ cup) finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
30 g (1 oz) butter, melted
1. Soak the beans in water overnight, then drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, coriander, lemon zest and thyme. Cook over medium heat for 10–15 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Add the beans and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the wine and stock. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours, until the beans are tender but not mashed.
4. Preheat the oven to 210°C (415°F/Gas 6–7). Transfer the bean mixture to a large casserole dish. Top with the tuna and basil leaves. Arrange the tomato slices over the basil.
5. To make the topping, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley. Sprinkle over the tomato. Drizzle with the butter. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and serve.