A recipe from the Good Food collection.
olive oil, for brushing
1 loaf of Turkish bread, cut into 4 even portions
4 × 80–100g pieces of minute steak, pounded thinly using a meat mallet
hummus, to serve
225g tin sliced beetroot (beets), drained
3 large tomatoes, sliced
1 large handful of shredded iceberg lettuce
mayonnaise, to drizzle
Red onion jam
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, halved and finely sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 Japanese eggplants, cut into 5mm-thick slices
2 zucchini, cut lengthways into 5mm-thick slices
1. To make the red onion jam, heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring often, for 10–12 minutes, or until the onion is very soft and deep golden. Add the sugar, vinegar and 2 tablespoons water and cook for a further 10–12 minutes, or until thick and jammy.
2. Meanwhile to make the extras, preheat a char-grill pan or large frying pan to medium. Lightly brush the eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil, then cook in batches for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until tender. Set aside in a bowl, reserving the pan.
3. Preheat the grill to medium. Cut the Turkish bread into four even portions, then slice each in half lengthways. Place on a baking tray and lightly toast both sides under the grill.
4. Lightly brush the steaks with olive oil and chargrill over medium heat for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until done to your liking.
5. Spread half the Turkish bread bases with hummus, then add the beetroot.