Dress up your Turkish bread with sausage meat and smoky flavours.
2 red onions
500g cevapi sausages (skinless sausages)*
2 tbsp quality tomato paste
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 small Turkish breads, halved lengthways
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
2 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra lemon wedges, to serve
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup dill
½ cup toum (Lebanese garlic dip)
2 tbsp dukkah, to serve
* Beef or lamb skinless sausages will both work well for this topping.
1. Coarsely grate 1 onion and place in a mixing bowl with sausages, tomato paste and smoked paprika. Mix together then spread over the cut sides of the Turkish breads. Place on a large baking tray. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat the grill to high. Place the tray under the grill and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden and lightly charred.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice the remaining onion and place in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
4. Serve the flatbreads topped with herbs, the sliced onion, toum, dukkah and with lemon wedges on the side.