A recipe from the Good Food collection.
2 tablespoons olive oil
800 g (1 lb 12 oz) boned veal brisket, in one piece
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
a large pinch of chilli flakes
1 eggplant (aubergine) , about 400 g (14 oz), cut into 3 cm (1¼ inch) lengths
1 tablespoon tomato paste (concentrated purée)
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) white wine
1.25 litres (44 fl oz/5 cups) chicken stock, approximately
2 rosemary sprigs
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) fresh pappardelle
85 g (3 oz/½ cup) pitted kalamata olives
1 small handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped
50 g (1¾ oz/½ cup) shaved parmesan cheese
1. Heat half the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Add the veal brisket and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until browned all over. Remove to a plate and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes and sauté for 5–6 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the eggplant and cook for 3 minutes, or until well coated. Stir in the tomato paste and wine, scraping the bottom of the dish with a wooden spoon to loosen any cooked-on bits. Add 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups) of the stock, the rosemary sprigs and peppercorns and bring to the boil. Return the veal to the casserole. Cover, reduce the heat to very low and simmer for 2–2½ hours, or until the veal is very tender.
3. Remove the casserole dish from the heat. Transfer the veal to a plate and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Using two forks, shred the meat into 2 cm (¾ inch) chunks.
4. Meanwhile, add another 375 ml (13 fl oz/1½ cups) stock to the casserole dish and season the liquid to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place over medium–low heat and bring to a simmer. Using your hands, separate the pasta strands, then add to the liquid in the casserole. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente, stirring constantly to stop the pasta sticking to the bottom of the dish; you may need to add a little more stock.
5. Add the shredded veal, olives and parsley and gently stir to combine. Divide among warm bowls and serve scattered with the parmesan.