A recipe from the Good Food collection.
4 ripe tomatoes
¼ tsp saffron threads
2 tbsp flaked almonds
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 thin carrots, cut into 5 mm (¼ in) slices
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
300 g (10½ oz) peeled pumpkin (winter squash), cut into 2 cm (¾ in) cubes
400 g (14 oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) vegetable stock
1 zucchini (courgette), halved lengthways, then cut into 1 cm (½ in) slices
4 tbsp raisins
50 g (1¾ oz/½ bunch) coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
625 ml (21½ fl oz/2½ cups) vegetable stock
465 g (1 lb/2½ cups) couscous
2 tsp reduced–fat margarine
1. To peel the tomatoes, score a cross in the base of each tomato. Put in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 30 seconds, then transfer to cold water and peel the skin away from the cross. To seed, cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
2. Dry–fry the saffron threads in a small frying pan over low heat for 1 minute, until darkened. Remove from the heat and cool. Repeat with the almonds, then remove and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, cinnamon stick, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper and saffron. Cook over medium—low heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, pumpkin and chickpeas and stir to coat.
4. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, raisins and half the coriander. Cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
5. To make the couscous, bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Put the couscous in a large heatproof bowl and pour over the hot stock. Cover and leave for 5 minutes, then fluff the grains with a fork. Stir in the margarine and season.
6. Spoon the couscous into serving bowls. Spoon the vegetables and sauce on top and sprinkle with the toasted almonds and the remaining coriander. Serve at once.