What do you get when you combine America's most famous east coast salad with its most famous west coast salad? A simple and delicious dish that's the best of both worlds.
• 2 free-range eggs
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 4 rashers of bacon, finely sliced
• ½ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
• ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus a little extra
• ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra to serve
• 1 red apple, finely sliced and tossed in a little lemon juice
• 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
• 2 baby cos lettuces, leaves torn
• ½ cup toasted walnuts
• 1 small red onion, cut into fine rings
• ½ cup grated parmesan
Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and add the eggs. Boil for 8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of iced water. Allow to cool, then peel the eggs and cut into quarters. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Fry the bacon, stirring frequently, until it's quite crisp. Turn off the heat and allow the warm bacon to sit in the pan for a moment while you prepare the salad.
Combine the mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the sliced apple, celery, lettuce, walnuts, eggs and red onion and toss to coat in the dressing. Transfer to a serving plate. Pour the bacon and any rendered oil over the salad and scatter with parmesan. Grate some black pepper over the top of the salad and serve.