The refreshing, crunchy watermelon cucumber salad is the perfect companion to spicy proteins. As a quick vegetarian meal on its own, add some warmed, torn buffalo mozzarella and fried sourdough bread.
100g spelt grains (or you could use quinoa, farro or a similar grain)
8 baby red radishes, washed
200g watermelon, cut from the rind
2 lebanese cucumbers, peeled
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, eyes removed
salt and pepper
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch chilli chili flakes
1 handful each coriander and mint leaves
1. Cook the spelt until tender in boiling, salted water (about 30 minutes).
2. Drain and leave to cool at room temperature.
3. Cut the radishes into wedges and roughly dice the watermelon, cucumber and tomato.
4. Mix them in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
5. Add lime juice, olive oil, chili flakes and herbs, toss and serve.
Serve with: Roast chicken. Try the Blue Ducks chilli-glazed chicken.