Two chicken dishes, one-pan. It's Adam Liaw's chicken escalopes with green peppercorn cream sauce, as well as a wok-fried chicken with capsicum and black vinegar sure to become a new go-to stir-fry.
Chicken escalopes with green peppercorn cream sauce
This one-pan recipe results in perfectly tender chicken.
4 Lilydale chicken breasts
salt and pepper, to season
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp plain flour
25g butter, plus extra if needed
Green peppercorn cream sauce
1 eschalot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
¼ cup white wine
1 tbsp brandy
1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
150ml chicken stock
150ml thickened cream
1 tbsp finely shredded parsley
1. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create a thin fillets. Season well with salt and pepper and mix with the bicarbonate of soda. Set aside for 15 minutes. Using a pastry brush, dust the fillets with flour.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Fry the chicken in batches until lightly browned on each side and nearly cooked through. Set the chicken aside while you make the sauce.
3. If needed, add a little extra butter to the pan and fry the eschalot and garlic for a minute or two until softened. Add the white wine and scrape up any brown bits from the base of the pan. Add the peppercorns and brandy and bring to a simmer, then add the chicken stock and cream (and fish sauce, if using) and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Return the chicken to the pan and heat through for about 2 minutes, then stir through the parsley and serve.
Wok-fried chicken with capsicum and black vinegar
This simple stir-fry is perfect with a bowl of fresh rice.
1 Lilydale chicken breast, cut into 2cm cubes
2 tbsp cornflour, plus 1 tsp extra for thickening
¼ cup vegetable oil
salt, to season
4 thick spring onions, cut into 1cm lengths
1 green capsicum, diced
coriander sprigs, to serve
Black vinegar sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp black vinegar
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp grated ginger
1. Combine the ingredients for the black vinegar sauce in a small bowl and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Mix the chicken breast with cornflour.
2. Heat a wok over high heat and add the oil. Fry the chicken until just lightly browned and season with salt.
3. If needed, brush out the wok and return to the heat. Add extra oil if needed and fry the spring onions and capsicum until just softened, then return the chicken to the wok and add the sauce. Toss until the sauce starts to thicken. You can mix a little cornflour with water and drizzle into the wok to thicken the sauce, if desired. Remove to a serving plate and scatter with coriander.
For nearly 20 years, passionate Lilydale farmers have been perfecting free range farming based on one simple belief: chicken that's raised better, tastes better. Today, our commitment to quality and to the welfare of our chickens is what sets us apart.
We work hard to raise Australia's favourite free range chicken. But that kind of devotion makes all the difference.
From our farm to your plate. Where the finest ingredients transform into memorable dishes.
Lilydale. Dedication you can taste.