This is a really nostalgic recipe for me, inspired by a dressing that came in a bottle from the shops when I was a kid. The dressing also doubles as a marinade for fish or meat and goes well with roasted vegetables.
- 2½ tbsp minced garlic (3 large cloves)
- 4 tbsp minced eschalot (French shallot; about 4 small shallots)
- 240ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- cracked black pepper
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Sizzle the garlic and eschalot in the olive oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the oregano and chilli and sizzle for 1 more minute. Pour this mixture into a jar and allow it to cool. Add the remaining ingredients and shake to combine.
- Store the jar in the fridge and use it to dress iceberg or cos lettuce salads, as a dip for bread, a marinade for meat or chicken, or as a sauce for fish.
Serves 6-8 as a side